|My handsome cousin on a tractor|
- You consider the first day of deer season a holiday, even if you don’t hunt.
- Hearing national media refer to that big festival back in 1969 in “Woodstock, New York” annoys you.
- There’s a road named for your family (although none of your family live on it anymore).
- You went clothes shopping at Sullivan’s.
- You explain where you’re from to people who are out of the area by referencing the (probably defunct) hotel your house is closest to.
- You’ve stood outside an ice cream stand licking a cone in a winter parka because goshdarnit, this is a sign of spring, and you’re going to enjoy it!
- You preface in-car (hands-free!) cellphone calls with “I’m going to lose you in about 5 minutes, so …”
- A cow ever made your school bus late.
- You’ll never get used to 17 being list as I-86.
- You’ve seen so many eagles you forget to stop and look when they fly by … but you’ve almost been in a car accident coming around a turn to find some out-of-towner stopped in the middle of the road staring at a nest.
- You were in a car accident or other mishap, and were lucky enough to have volunteers show up to rescue you.
- You wave to every car in the opposite lane because you know each driver.
- Your sister leaned over to tell you that hottie you are checking out at the bar is actually another one of our cousins (and yes, you WERE embarrassed … this isn’t Deliverance country; sheesh).
- You’re used to eating in restaurants owned by people, not corporations.
- You graduated with 33 people. In one class.
- You know how to drive a 4-wheeler and have since you were 5.
- You plan for snow by filling the bathtub with extra water, pulling out the candles, and making a pile of board games because it’s going to be a long night without electric.
- Buying a good pair of jeans means driving an hour.
- You hear a car alarm and think, “Oh, it must be summer.”
- You’ve gone hunting for Easter Eggs in a snow storm.
- Birthday party entertainment was “Go outside and play, kids.”
- You love a good tractor parade.
- You’ve planned a weekend around a pancake breakfast or a roast beef dinner.
- You grew up reading The Sullivan County Democrat!
Come on y’all, add to it in comments!
Have you “liked” Inside Out Motherhood on Facebook yet?