Most people have a favorite TV show from childhood. Me? I have favorite musical numbers. No, I didn’t grow up on Broadway. I grew up on a dead end road in a small town in a rural area. The cable company wouldn’t run lines to our house, and as we were nestled in a valley, we couldn’t get reception even with the good old rabbit ears.
Instead, my brother and I had a television, a VCR, and we had musicals — Rodgers and Hammerstein classics mostly. Oklahoma. The Sound of Music. The King and I. South Pacific.
My brother and I would waltz around the living room singing, “Shall We Dance? 1, 2, 3, 4” at the top of our lungs. We must have made quite a sight — him in my old bathrobe, a plastic sword slung through the belt as he played out Yul Brynner’s role. I was, of course, Anna, the school teacher.
A strange way to raise kids? I suppose to some. But music plays such an important role in what we do and don’t remember that I can say it certainly made for a memorable one.
And if you’ve heard of a certain Disney movie set in rather cold climes (cough, Frozen, cough, cough), you know musicals have no age limit. Little kids. Big kids. REALLY big kids … they’ve all proven themselves prone to “letting it go” and breaking into song at any moment.
So it only seems apropos that now we parents are all searching around for films and TV shows that will give the family that same feeling, will get us up off the couch for an old-fashioned sing into the hairbrush, dance around the living room family night.
You know where I’m going with this, don’t you? Yes … Netflix.
I asked friends to share their absolute favorite musicals — TV or movie (sorry, no Broadway this time!). I cross-checked them with Netflix for an ultimate Netflix musical viewing party! Here’s what you MUST add to your queue!
1. Grease — John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John, and oh those summer niiiiights!
2. Rent — Did you know there are 526,600 minutes in a non-leap year? It’s hard to measure a year, but this updated version of La Boheme does it beautifully.
3. Glee — It’s not as good as it once was, but it still gets you up and dancing, doesn’t it?
4. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang — One of the musicals of my childhood, it’s truly, truly scrumptious!
5. Footloose — Everything begins or ends with Kevin Bacon, especially stories of an 80’s childhood. So let’s get ready to party!
6. Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the musical episode) — Once more, with feeling!
7. White Christmas — Yes, it’s a Christmas movie, but on a hot summer day, what’s better than dreaming of a white Christmas?
8. The Producers — Max Bialystock and Leo Bloom have a genius idea.
9. Dirty Dancing — Not a musical? Have you HAD the time of your life? Well, OK then …
10. Flashdance — OK, OK, NOT a musical. But the music is what makes this movie …
What is your, stop if it’s on, break out in song, absolute favorite musical?
Have you “liked” Inside Out Motherhood on Facebook yet?
Disclaimer: As a Netflix Stream Team member, I receive free Netflix, however I’m not otherwise compensated and all opinions expressed in this post are my own.