How about handing your kiddo a book … with the promise that they can watch the film version on Netflix when they’re done?
Here are some fun films your kids probably don’t know where books first … and they’re all streaming!
- The Rescuers. Before it was a Disney movie with the voices of Zsa Zsa Gabor and Bob Newhart, it was a series of novels by Margery Sharp.
- The Rescuers Down Under. The little mice Bianca and Bernard of the aforementioned books are just begging to be called up for a double feature.
- The Wind in the Willows. The cute animated Disney flick is drawn from the pages of Kenneth Graham’s novel about Rat, Mole, Badger and Toad.
- Escape to Witch Mountain. The popular Disney film is based on a sci fi novel from 1968 by Alexander H. Key. Just like the siblings in the movie, Tony and Tia have magical abilities.
- Around the World in 80 Days. The Jules Verne book that chases Phileas Fogg around the globe got the movie treatment in 1956.
- Harriet the Spy. After getting acquainted with Louise Fitzhugh’s pint-sized nosy parker, they can watch her on the big screen.
- A Wrinkle in Time. The first in a series of science fantasy novels by Madeleine L’
Engle, this is a must-read for its badass girl protagonist. The movie doesn’t have the best reviews, but it’s hard to resist for L’Engle fans.
- Jumanji. The Chris Van Allsburg picture book about a magical board game stars Robin Williams. ‘Nuff said.
- Charlotte’s Web. A pig, his spider best friend, and a whole lot of love show up in this E.B. White classic.
- James and the Giant Peach. Roald Dahl’s adventurous tale of a little boy and his trip in a giant piece of fruit becomes a stop-motion treat that’s perfectly paired with the book.
Have you “liked” Inside Out Motherhood on Facebook yet?